Thursday, February 28, 2008

Leg Work: a bit of bone surgery


The 21st of February, the very day after I turned 46, I had my 31st surgery. God has been good to me in that I made it through another one.

This was the easiest surgery I've ever had on my leg. Dr. Karl Raynor went in and removed 2" from my left distal fibula (smaller lower leg bone) and the internal bone stimulator that was placed in there when my ankle was totally fused in May of 2006.

You can see the wires sticking out of where the devise had been. See that sharp bone sticking out of the back of the leg? That is the place to which my fibula was cut this time
(where some tendon attach). It was about 2" longer but had grown toward the tibia to try to make a pseudo-joint which was causing unbearable bone pain for me.

The wires from the bone stim were wrapped around the ankle area along with some bone removed from my fibula to help attain a solid fusion. Though the bone stim is supposed to stimulate bone growth in the area where the wires are located, apparently some EMFs encouraged some bone growth at the end of my fibula that we didn't want.

You can see that I have a metal rod and a couple of long screws that bind things together. It looks rather robotic on xray, but kind of nasty in real life. I have a crookedy lower left leg with no outer ankle protrusion at all. It's flat and majorly scarred.

Still . . . I have my own leg and foot. I even have most of my sensory nerve functions so that I feel thing with that foot which is amazing given all that it's been through.

I joke with people who can't believe how many surgeries I've survived by saying, " When God does finally take me home, it will probably be from an infection from a paper cut or something small like that."

Seriously, the prayers of my friends have helped sustain me through everything. It is especially important since I am allergic to all the main pain medications.

I went into surgery at about 11 a.m.. My nurse's name was also Ellen (43 y.o.) and she also likes to long distance run. Therefore she understood when I said I take the pain and push it aside like when you are waiting for your "second wind". Still the different people including the anesthesiologist found it hard to believe that I was not taking anything for the intense pain.

I came out of surgery in record time and was very talkative even before I could open my eyes. I heard Dr. Summers (the anesthesiologist) check on me before he left. I asked him to please give us some "Summer" weather. It was a bad joke, but he laughed anyway.

At 1 p.m. I was home in my own bed! The nerve block that they gave me in surgery worked so well that I felt no bone pain, just sharp cut of the incision. The On-Q Pain med ball was in place to drip Marcaine right into the surgical site, and was a godsend for the three days it worked!

With my leg elevated in the wheelchair, I am finally able to get back to my computer to catch up (if that's EVEN possible) with all the things I need to attend to. [Yes, I ended that sentence with a preposition because that's how I would speak naturally].

Currently, I am using lydocaine pain patches next to the incision for 12 hours a day to help with the pain. I am to be non-weightbearing until at least Monday when I get the stitches out.

The most frustrating thing is that I can't do housework that I want, cook supper, or be much help around here. AND I am lonely, since I am unable to go out just yet. Thank God for phone calls and book reading, cause there's hardly anything worth watching on TV.

Well, I'm gonna call it quits for this post. I'll just be "kickin' back" and recovering for a bit.

1 comment:

Paul Becker said...

Dear Ellen,

bone stim is a very well established use for PEMF -pulsed electromagnetic fields-

if you'd like to read some of the research you can view most of the good abstracts on my PEMF Research page at http://www.earthpulsetechnologies.com

if you'd like a bone stim unit that will get the job done just call me. i can't sell my device as a bone stim unit but you can buy it for sleep enhancement and it will get the job done or you get your money back. i don't care much for the technology that's out there as they are mostly not well designed.

Paul
________________________________
Paul F. Becker Esq., Managing Member & Product Developer
EarthPulse™ Technologies, LLC
Sleep on Command™ BioMagnetic Supplementation for Advanced Human Performance Enhancement
Better Sleep Means Better Health!
mailto:paulbecker@earthpulse.net
http://www.earthpulsetechnologies.com
FON.+1.772.408.6100 FAX.+1.772.539.8437

Livestream

Watch live streaming video from keynoteconnection at livestream.com

Billy Graham Early Years Message

Just How Big Small Can Be - By 1000 Generations

Power of Prayer with Coach Dungy

Indianapolis Video

Caring for Baby Bunnies

Caring for Bunnies 2

Caring for Bunnies 3