Friday, May 22, 2009

WHAT IT WAS VS. WHAT IT IS


I have had quite a few brand new friends who I have met via newmedia and on the internet who have never heard me talk before the "ATTACK" so when they hear me speaking on the recent video clips they do not think anything about my heavy weird accent.

ASIDE: By the way the votes for "What kind of accent do you think it is?" is leaning very heavily toward French and Swedish/Norwegian. One good friend has accused me of being a Russian spy. And one of my 4H dog club kids thinks I sound British like Victoria Stillwell of dog training fame.

BEFORE To help those people who have never heard my "regular talking voice" here is a clip of me conducting an interview of an intercity ministry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQjncoi9jc You will notice some hesitation in my speech as I am thinking of the questions off the cuff, but even a very untrained ear can tell I do not sound like the same person.

AFTER Now... compare this to my most recent little clip from last night
http://www.tokbox.com/vm/b6ae3opqguin

You hear a very noticeable difference don't you??
Friends, students and family are helping me to laugh about it, because if I don't stay light-hearted enough it will make me want to cry.

THIS IS NOT ME!!
My regular voice is gone! Instead I am having to hear these weird accents coming out of my mouth. STILL, I am extremely thankful to have any voice at all. Can you imagine it?

I have had friends call me on the phone, and then just about hang up as they say "I'm sorry, I have gotten the wrong number." I go into a quick "wait a minute! it is me, Ellen, don't hang up!" Then I must give them some kind of fact that a stranger wouldn't know, to convince them it is ME!! It IS me!!

It has now been a week and a half since the first numbness showed up, and almost as long that I have been speaking with a foreign accent. I sometimes get a bit down about the situation. No doctor has an answer about what is going on -- we just don't see any obvious signs of stroke or any bad tumor or anything on CT or MRI.

The speech therapist I saw on Wednesday was thinking maybe Bells Palsy, but some of the symptoms do not jive. I have just started finding something called "Foreign Accent Syndrome" mentioned on the web. So I will continue to research as I await my neurologist appt. on the 29th.

I praise God that He never gives us more than we can handle. I am being forced to
(1) speak funny OR (2) shut-up. Those of you who know my passion for communication (talking with people and about the Gospel) know which option of those two that I am taking.

Here are some things running through my head a lot lately:
"Be still -- and KNOW -- that I AM GOD!" --
We are fearfully and wonderfully made; tho' this is scarey it IS facinating!
I must laugh because if I take it too seriously I will cry.
How much faith do I really have?
I choose to believe that God IS in control of even this.

What do you think about this? I REALLY want to know.
I am seeking any advice, ideas or answers anyone might have.

4 comments:

Douglas Karr said...

Hang in there Ellen! I did have Bells Palsy and my face was half paralyzed for a short period. I wasn't embarassed-more frustrated as it sounds like you are. We're all tested at times like this - you'll make it through fine.

Look on the bright side! You've got a mysterious and perhaps affluent accent. Share it as your own... Call it Ellentonian. ;)

Dr. Pamela Reilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Pamela Reilly said...

Hi, Ellen. I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. I know God will carry you through this and will give you the victory!!

I am familiar with Foreign Accent Syndrome and can only imagine how frustrating it must be. Please feel free to contact me (pamela @ goodworkswellness . com), as there are some natural supplements that may be helpful. I'll respond as quickly as possible with some recommendations.

Please know you are in my prayers. God bless you!

Derek Guyer said...

Wow, Ellen! I've never heard of anything like this. I've heard of the Bells Palsy and things like that, but the accent is nothing like any of the stuff I've seen before.

I do believe there is something powerful to come out of all of this and pray for you to learn and grow in all of it. I'm sure He's teaching, so I pray you're listening. (Proverbs 12:1 comes to mind immediately)

Please keep me updated and I'll be praying. Until then, enjoy the maid. :)

Livestream

Watch live streaming video from keynoteconnection at livestream.com

Billy Graham Early Years Message

Just How Big Small Can Be - By 1000 Generations

Power of Prayer with Coach Dungy

Indianapolis Video

Caring for Baby Bunnies

Caring for Bunnies 2

Caring for Bunnies 3